Murder of Catherine Dyer: Where is Mike Waguespack now?

Authorities in Austin, Texas responded to a possible homicide call in November 2015 at a home in the 7500 block of Northcrest Boulevard to find Catherine Dyer unresponsive in the bedroom. The police were quick to declare her dead and an initial examination showed that her head was completely bloody. Investigation Discovery’s “In Pursuit With John Walsh: In Cold Blood” chronicles Catherine’s murder and shows how the police received a phone call from the murderer moments after the crime. If you’re intrigued to find out more about the case and want to know the current whereabouts of Catherine’s killer, we’ve got you covered.

How did Catherine Dyer die?

Resident of Austin, Texas, Catherine Dyer was only 31 years old at the time of her murder. People who knew her praised her generosity and claimed that she would even resort to donating the shirt on her back if it helped someone in need. Always reliable to her friends and family, Catherine was ready to reach out and never dreamed of turning down someone in need. A few years before her murder, Catherine began dating Kevin Michael “Mike” Waguespack, whom she had known since her high school days.

Although Mike and Catherine studied at different schools, they worked at the same movie theater and decided to reconnect years later. In addition, Catherine was very fond of animals and earned her living as a programmer. A few of Katherine’s neighbors claimed to have heard Katherine and her boyfriend, Mike, having a violent argument on November 16, 2015. They mentioned hearing quite a bit of things shattering while Mike ordered Katherine to shut up. Naturally, such an altercation caused neighbors to be concerned for the 31-year-old’s safety.

Once things seemed to calm down, a neighbor walked over to Katherine’s house to check on her. However, the neighbors weren’t ready for the terrifying scene that awaited them as they found Katherine unresponsive in her room with a bloody head. The police were immediately called and first responders arrived to declare her dead. Later, an autopsy mentioned that Katherine had died of blunt force trauma, although police never mentioned whether she had been shot before her death.

Who Killed Catherine Dyer?

It didn’t take long for the police to receive their first breakthrough, which came in amazing fashion. At around 2 a.m. on November 17, 2015, while authorities were still examining the crime scene and talking to neighbors, they received a phone call from someone claiming to be Mike Waguespack. Over the phone, Mike reportedly confessed to killing Catherine and expressed remorse for his actions. However, before the police could trace the call, the line disconnected.

Likewise, another friend of Mike’s allegedly received a call that night as Mike told him that he had messed up a lot and was going to jail for a long time. Wasting no time, the police compile a list of Mike’s acquaintances and interview them individually. They even performed a thorough search of the crime scene and tried to figure out where Mike might have escaped.

Eventually, the Lone Star Fugitive Task Force became involved in the case, and together with the Austin Police Intelligence Unit, they discovered that Mike had fled to Natchez, Mississippi, where he had his family home. Officers immediately traveled to Mississippi, and after a brief but tense confrontation, Mike surrendered and accepted Austin with them. Afterwards, Mike’s family handed over a gun to the police and claimed they separated it from him when he arrived.

Where is Mike Waguespack now?

The gun given to authorities by Mike’s family was never proven to be part of Catherine’s murder. Nonetheless, with a direct confession from Mike himself and ample evidence for a jury trial, authorities arrested the suspect before charging him with Catherine’s murder. Mike was then taken to Travis County Jail and held there on $250,000 bond. In June 2016, Mike posted his $250,000 bond and was released from jail.

Also, since he was still awaiting trial, he wore an ankle monitor at all times. Yet Mike kept complaining about the ankle monitor, and finally, in April 2017, Judge Tamara Needles ruled that Mike was not at risk of flight and allowed him to walk around without the ankle monitor. . This decision baffled everyone, but Mike seemed to follow the law and even appeared in court for his preliminary hearings until October 19, 2017. Mike’s last preliminary hearing, before the actual trial, was held on October 23, but he remained absent. daytime.

Authorities immediately went to his registered address, but Mike was nowhere to be found. Unfortunately, since that day, Mike has eluded law enforcement and has yet to be arrested. Currently, an active search is underway across the country and anyone with information is asked to contact the authorities. Although the situation may seem grim at first glance, the police are confident in their ability to locate Mike and bring him back to stand trial.

Read more: Murder of Nazmi Hassanieh: how did he die? Who killed him ?